We’ve done it again. We changed engines once more. Why the switch? Because CryEngine. Yes, that’s right, we’ve moved onto CryEngine 3 for the development of Project Icarus.
The first reason why the switch is because Unity isn’t a FPS main engine, it’s built for mostly mobile and RPG games. While there’s no problem with that, it doesn’t really work with Project Icarus. CryEngine just, or is, about to release a new commercial license program that I could not pass up. It’s a royalty program rather than a limit or a cash upfront program like most engines go for these days. And it’s nearly the full engine they provide as well, not something stripped down that Unity and others are known for.
The second reason is the aesthetics. This engine is beautiful. Everything flows and works beautifully. I’m still blown away by how the water moves and reacts to the objects. The particles, the detail, everything is built in. You don’t need to go crazy looking for assets, plugins, or anything of the sort. Everything is provided by CryTek.
The third reason is that it’s stupid easy to learn. There are plenty of tutorials online to help take you in step by step, and it’s forgiving for your nooby-ness. I’ve dealt with Unity for quite sometime and I just couldn’t wrap my brain around it. Fiddling with CryEngine in 3 days, and I’ve already started to create a map for our game. Yes, it’s that easy. Scripting and programming isn’t too crazy either because it uses the common LUA and C++ language (and flowchart).
The fourth and final reason is… CryEngine. I mean come on… this badboy rivals UDK and then some! I’ve also noticed the support CryTek offers for their IndieDevs, and it’s second to none. You’re talking to the people that worked on games like FarCry and Crysis who know the engine inside and out. You can’t ask for anything more!
So without further ado, let me show you part 1 of the speed mapping I did with CryEngine for Project Icarus’ first map.